31 July 2010

Villager in Tarime fights off elephant with knife




AN elephant in Nyamwaga Ward in Tarime District, Mara Region has injured a resident who fought it off with a knife in a fierce battle.

The tusker attacked Gemsonko Machugu (56) in the wee hours of the morning when he was on his way to the farm. Mr Machugu has been admitted to the hospital after the horrendous spectacle.

He fought with the elephant and freed himself by stabbing the furious beast with a knife, forcing it to leave him alone and move away. Speaking to Journalists at Tarime District Hospital on Friday, Mr Machugu said that he (Machugu) was injured by the elephant on his leg.

“This is the sixth time I have been attacked by elephants in my farm and I always managed to free myself,” he said, adding that at one time he broke an elephant’s leg in his farm.

Mr Machugu said that the latest sad incident occurred last Wednesday at 6 am when he met with a group of elephants. But when he tried to run away, one of them chased and attacked him, but he stabbed the tusker with a knife after it hurt him on one leg.

“It threw me up with it tusks. When I fell to the ground, it stepped on my leg. Then I remembered that I was carrying a knife. I pulled out the knife and stabbed it several times on its leg, and it moved off me and left,” Machugu said.

The Medical Officer of Tarime District, Dr Samson Charles, said that Mr Machugu was seriously injured on his leg, but his condition was improving.

According to an eye-witness, a group of elephants from Serengeti National Park always invaded villages in Tarime District in search of green pastures on the villagers’ farms.

No comments: